www.flickr.com
blind king's TheBlindKing photoset blind king's TheBlindKing photoset

The Blind KingĀ® - obscurer than thou

"Ask yourself: Have you been kind today? Make kindness your daily modus operandi and change your world." - Annie Lenox

12.30.2004

Fun show tonite

The Vinyl Skyway played a really nice tight set tonight. They have the coolest songs, and they played some new stuff with these cool-ass vocal harmonies. You'll have to go see them.

Our set started off a bit slow, I was having tuning issues and feedback from the guitar that caused some re-starts, but we got rolling about halfway through the set and had some fun. There was a decent crowd and they stuck around for the whole show, which helps a lot.

It's so hard sometimes to just let go and trust the soundman. Because you can never hear anything accurately up there unless you've got some state-of-the-art monitoring system, so you're kind of playing blind, er, well, deaf. You have to just sort of remember, "oh, I usually play quiet here, so I won't strum as hard" and that's about all you get for dynamics, loud and soft. And with all those instruments going at once, it's hard to know where my playing is fitting into the mix, or if I'm even in tune. Okay, enough about me.

There were nice people to talk to after the show and we got some good feedback. A guy I didn't know was very encouraging, which always means more to me than when it's someone you do know, because after all they HAVE to say something nice, or neutral, or run away. But the guy smoking a cigarette doesn't have to say anything at all, so it somehow means more. Beth said she even got invited to go "pahhty" with some random people. She's officially a rock star, now!

I had a nice chat with another musician about how important it is to have a network of nice people who you can relate to. And really, that's what it's all about. I feel so lucky that I get to do this. I'm always meeting the sweetest people, and I love their music, and it's like I have my own secret club or something. The "nice" gang. Y'know, the kids the Rockabilly bands beat up for a laugh.

loading...